Sunday, October 1, 2017

Star Trek Discovery


I've watched the first two episodes of Star Trek Discovery at least three times each, and I am liking what I have seen so far.  Michelle Yeoh has just the right amount of swagger for a Starfleet Captain! (If you don't believe me just watch how she moves in the scene shown above!) I have really enjoyed her as Captain Philippa Georgiou, commanding the U.S.S. Shenzhou - which is a really sleek, beautiful starship. Yeoh's interactions with Sonequa Martin-Green, who plays human-raised-on-Vulcan, Commander Michael Burnham, have also been great to watch. They're the kind of heartfelt character interactions for which Star Trek has always been known.

Yes, the Klingons look very different from how we have seen them in both the Original Series and from the movies on-forward. And there's games we can play here. For example, looking at the new-old Klingons, it's not difficult to see the Remans' true origins revealed at last.

I also love the lateral transporter technology. We haven't seen that before, and now we know that it is much more wasteful of energy than vertical transporters. And we have a new mystery: the transporters we see on Enterprise are vertical, as are the ones in later periods with the exception of the Discovery, so why did the Federation move to lateral transporter technology in the Discovery era?

I love speculating about these things.

I'm so looking forward to the next episode tonight, and our first real look at the U.S.S. Discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment